Built-in 1796, the Fairfield-Gutzeit House is one of the oldest in the province and has been a landmark on Fairfield Bay for over 200 years. The property is named after Mrs. Mabel Fairfield-Gutzeit, a descendant of William Fairfield, and her husband Dr. William Gutzeit.
The property left the Fairfield family’s ownership in the 1860s and was for many years operated as a summer resort. In 1938 Mabel Fairfield-Gutzeit brought the House back into possession of the Fairfield family. She and her husband, Dr. William Gutzeit, filled the house with their collection of paintings and antiques. Mrs. Gutzeit enjoyed entertaining and showing her home, and in 1942 she held a large garden party to benefit the children of Bath in war-torn England.
As one of the few remaining pre-1800s buildings in Ontario, the Fairfield- Gutzeit House is of great interest. Today, the site functions as a historic house, depicting the life of the Fairfield-Gutzeit family throughout the years. The grounds are located along the beautiful Lake Ontario shoreline and are an ideal destination for relaxing in the summer sun or enjoying the fresh breeze.
The site is open seasonally, June to August free of charge.